I have always tried, when things look down, to subscribe to the Tinker Bell philosophy. You didn’t know she had a mantra?! Duh, “Think happy thoughts.” Obviously this doesn’t work every time, but it’ll get you through a bad day. I understand she’s a cartoon character, but I totally wanna be Tinker Bell when I grow up (yes I am aware of the irony there, “and we’re walking…”). She’s tiny, like me, cares passionately about her loved ones (I have a list of people I’d drink poison for), and doesn’t take but so much shit from people. My kinda girl… 🙂 So I have a running list I’d like to share with you all about being a single mom. Now, I feel like I can speak with great authority on this subject, not only because I am a single mom, but because I have also been a married mom, a stay-at-home mom, a working mom, a teen mom, and a cohabitating but not married mom. (don’t feel bad I’ve always been a bit of an overachiever lol) So this is a list (in no particular order) of reasons why, for ME and MY kids (emphasis is on purpose),being a single working mom is the greatest.
- I decide what we have for supper. No one (who gets a vote) tells me “that’s not healthy enough” or, “what do you mean you’re too tired? What did you do today?” or my favorite “no, I’m just not in the mood for that”. Side note, I also get to decide when! 🙂
- I choose haircuts & if I want my little boy to have longish hair, no one tells me no. Or if I want bangs, I’m not disappointing anyone.
- I do not have to shave in the winter, unless I want to.
- No one has more authority than I do in my house.
- I don’t have to share the remote after 9pm… EVER
- My parenting philosophy is LAW, no one to compromise with.
- My house is as clean/dirty as I damn well want it to be.
- If I want to blow money on something, I don’t have to discuss it with anyone.
- I can leave clean laundry in a basket unfolded for weeks!
- Merchants have to talk to me, not “don’t you want me to just explain it to your husband, dear?”
- My bank account is the exact balance I left it at, always.
- If I decide we should not get dressed all weekend and watch movies and eat pizza in the living room cause it’s raining, no one judges me.
- There is no “I’m telling Dad”.
- If I get the opportunity to move for a promotion there is no one else’s career to consider.
- I don’t have to be nice to/pretend to like anyone’s lame, annoying friends. (Only my lame, annoying friends show up at my door. Love you guys, lol!)
- My stuff is always where I left it and organised the way I want it to be.
- I can decorate however the hell I want to. (there is a pink wall coming, I’ll tell you about that later lol)
- I get to be proud of what I am doing with no qualifiers, it’s just me, and I AM doing it, thank you.
Single moms, got anything to add that’s awesome about being the Lady of the house? (if you are in charge you get capital letters 🙂 )