Now for more yummy & easy stuff I can make in a hotel kitchen. This is a breakfast casserole. You can make it and eat it as a breakfast for supper kind of thing, or you make it the night before and then heat it up in the morning. I suppose if you were a supreme mommy overachiever you could make it in the morning, but if you are I would really prefer not to know, not good for my self-esteem and all. As a side note you can wrap it in Saran Wrap and freeze this as well.
You will need to make cinnamon sugar for this casserole, I use a 1 Tablespoon cinnamon to 1 cup sugar ratio, you can alter this to your own preference.
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup skim milk (or whatever milk you have on hand)
- 1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread (use whatever brand you prefer, I get store brand)
- 1 lb turkey bacon
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon sugar
- Aluminum Foil
- Cooking Spray (use butter flavored)
- Butter (or margarine)
Brown bacon, set on paper towel to drain and cool.
Whisk in a medium-sized bowl eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon sugar.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Coat casserole dish with butter. Place small amount of egg mix in dish (not quite enough to coat, but so that it runs around across the bottom). Place 1 layer bread. Sprinkle about 1/3 bacon across top. Pour about 1/3 egg mix over bread and bacon. Layer again with bread, bacon and egg until all ingredients are used. (try to save egg mix for last layer)
Bake, uncovered, for 20 mins.
If you plan to freeze: cool, wrap and place in freezer at this stage. When it is time to eat, follow the remaining steps.
Spray aluminum with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake until eggs are fluffy and done even in center. Casserole should be slightly springy when pressed with finger, and will be a golden brown color across the top. This will take about 15 mins.
Allow to cool/set slightly before cutting into squares.
Serve squares with butter & syrup to taste.
Some other ideas:
- You can use regular bacon or sausage if you prefer, this way has lots less fat, etc and would be fine to eat multiple mornings in a week. A more indulgent version would be best for a large brunch (i.e. everything in moderation).
- You can substitute flavored coffee creamer for the milk, experiment with your favorites.
- This is great topped with fresh berries & powdered sugar instead of butter and syrup as well.
Hmmm… well I know what I’m making tonight for breakfast tomorrow. Yumm 🙂
Have a good day everyone & as always, if you try this out, let me know what you thought & if you have any suggestions to improve it!